After waiting what seemed like forever the Honda Civic Type R is finally being updated for the 2020 model year. Typically, most cars are announced for the next model year in either quarter 3 or quarter 4 of the previous year, so once 2020 hit and we still had no updates on the 2020 Type R many of us began to worry. Did Honda decide to stop production? Are they takin a year off? What’s going on? Well Honda must have heard that we were freaking out a bit, so they decided to finally spill the beans.
For 2020 Honda has decided to make the following changes:
- Updated front and rear bumpers to match that of the rest of the Civic line.
- The front grill has a lager opening for better cooling.
- New Type R exclusive color called Boost Blue
- Retuned shocks for better comfort.
- Stiffer rear bushings for better grip.
- Tweaked shifter for shorter throws.
- Alcantara steering wheel.
- New shift Knob.
- Full suite of Honda Sensing safety features and drivers aids.
First off I have to say that I really like the new blue color, it reminds me of the blue that was available on the S2000 CR. It is in my opinion a much nicer color than the current blue option. Obviously absent is what everyone is waiting for and that is the Phoenix Yellow option (ever since spy photos were caught at the ring in that color). Colors aside, none of the changes seem super major, but, it looks to be just enough to make a great car just a little bit better.